Preservation Society - Charity Number 1095946

Three Brothers

Built circa 1912

The “Three Brothers” was built in 1912 for Robert Crawford of Bridlington for his three sons – William, George and Abraham for the princly sum of £70 which excluded the sails and iron work. In 1916 ownership passed to Frank Crawford.

Now she is the last of many sailing cobles built by Siddall and Sons, Baker and Percy in Bridlington and still under sail today.

Change was on its way after the First World War and an engine was fitted in 1920 although still working out of Bridlington at the time. This would expedite leaving and entering harbour which up to this time had to be done by oars and boat hooks, at time consuming and physical task.

During the Second World War she was fishing out of Whitby, returning to Bridlington in 1945. In 1946 she was working on the River Tees ferrying workmen across the river to work. 1961 she was back in Bridlington under the ownership of Neil Newby plying her trade with parties up to 36 anglers In the bay and around Flamborough Head.

The Bridlington Harbour Commissioners bought her in 1983 with a view to restoration and returning her to sail. The Harbour Master George Wallis and shipwright Frank Taylor completed the rebuilding including sourcing a variety of chandlery, the sails, making the mast and brass fittings were all done at the harbour.

With her hull painted white as seen on a photograph taken in Whitby earlier she was recommissioned on 29th August 1986 and handed over to the Bridlington Sailing Coble Preservation Society.

2011 and it was obvious her overall condition had badly deteriorated, a lick of paint was not going to suffice. A survey was obtained and bids from three boat building companies was obtained. The quotes were frightening, funding was sought but despite well meaning donors the gap was significant. Ultimately a deal was done between the society, the Harbour Commissioners and the Lord Feoffees enabled the work to proceed.

Work started in September of 2012 and over the winter months John Clarkson and Joe Gelsthorpe ably assisted by harbour staff volunteers went to work. The work was a major refit but by the 22nd of March 2013 the “Three Brothers” was ready to be rededicated.

On the morning of a bitterly cold day she exited the Vessel Maintenance Facility at Clough Hole, however due to the weather it would be another day when she would be launched.

A celebrity locally the Three Brothers appeared on BBC Look North to record the first sailing after her restoration. Ade Edmundson presenter of ITV's “Ade at Sea” arrived with a film crew to record episode 3 aboard “Three Brothers” on the 4th of July 2013. Lastly receiving a fitting climax to her history and those involved in saving her H.R.H. The Prince of Wales visited on 23rd July 2013 to inspected her. All in all a memorable year.

2022, work continues annually on “Three Brothers” and on all our fleet and new projects thanks to the dedication of the BSCPS and volunteers.

Acknowledgements – BSCPS members past and present – Bridlington Harbour Commissioners - Paul L Arro